Vernon City History
En Francais : Histoire de Vernon
Saint Louis, the city benefactor
Vernon is a very ancient town attested by prehistorical, Celtic,
Gallo-Roman and Merovingian remains. It became like Gisors an important
military town after the foundation of the Duchy of Normandy. Richard
de Reviers, Captain of Vernon, took part in the battle of Hastings in
1066 and settled down in England. Vernon played a political and military
part during the long rivalry between the Capetians and Plantagenets. It was
attached to the French kingdom by Philippe Auguste in 1196, even before
the rest of Normandy (1204). Philippe Auguste had the castle of Vernon built,
the Keep and a tower still remain.
|In the 18th century, Vernon, like Gisors, les Andelys, Lyons-la-Forêt
was transfered by Louis XV to the Count of Belle-Isle in exchange for
the island of Belle-Isle-en-Mer. After his death, his properties passed back
to the crown, then they were granted to the Duke of Bourbon-Penthièvre,
grandson of Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan, and grand-father of
Vernon keeps the memory of the heroic battles fought in 1870 by the mobile troops of Ardeche.
The town was partially destroyed in 1940 but it rose from its ruins. It is presently the second town in the departement.
The town's coat of arms
They represent three watercress bunches tied with a golden bond.
They were granted to the town by Saint-Louis who was offered bunches of watercress to refresh himself after a long ride.
The upper part is blue with three golden fleur de lis for it was a royal town.
Vernon's motto "Vernon Semper Viret" means "Vernon Always Green."
The origin of the name "Vernon"
Giverny Day Trips
Giverny Home Page |
Giverny Village |
Vernon Town |
This site is edited by Givernet non for profit Organisation, 38 route de Giverny, 27200 Vernon, France, Legal Notice